Frequently Asked Questions About Campervan Rentals in Australia

What living and cooking equipment is included with the vehicles?

Our vehicles are equipped with basic cooking equipment which includes cutlery, crockery, pots and pans, gas kettle and a little more. A Linen Pack can be purchased for $20 and includes a queen duvet, queen sheet, 2 towels, 2 pillow cases and a tea towel. 

Can a child seat be fitted to the campervan?

No sorry!

Are the campervans automatic or manual?

The Lucky Rookie's is have automatic transmissions and the Lucky Roadie's have manual (stick) transmissions. 

How much water do I have on board?

The Lucky Rookie has a 10 litre water tank and the Lucky Roadie has a 55 litre water tank. The fresh water tank can be refilled at holiday parks and often a service station when you refuel the vehicle.

Can I Freedom Camp in Australia?

Each state and territory in Australia has different rules around where freedom camping (and parking of campervans) is permitted and where it is not. We suggest that you contact the nearest Visitor Centre about camping in a particular location.
In many places in WA you can camp for free, or for a few dollars a night. Even camping in a Caravan Park is usually not that expensive (except for a few of the very remote communities!). Many of the beaches in WA allow camping, meaning you can follow the coast around WA whilst saving your money and waking up each morning to the best view in the world!

It’s worth investigating thoroughly where you can camp though, as there are rules and regulations that are in place to stop people camping in certain areas. There are plenty of designated camping spots throughout WA, and with some quality planning you will be able to have an amazing trip without breaking your budget!

The DEC has recently updated a page on campsites in WA.

How and when should I make my bookings?

We always suggest as soon as you know the dates you wish to have your holiday – go online and book. To confirm we only need a AU$100 deposit and then the balance is due on pick up of your campervan. Very easy. The best way to submit your credit card details are though the secure server bookings page on our website. Or if preferred, just give us a call!

What do you mean by calendar days when we book?

All campervan operators in Australia charge by the day, not per 24 hour period. So regardless of the time of collection and return, you will be charged for the day you collect and the day you drop your vehicle off. This is somewhat like a hotel and a rental car company all in one as you can drive and sleep in your vehicle.

I have submitted my booking form and credit card – what happens now?

Your request will be processed within 24 hours of receiving your booking or we will get in contact with you. If a vehicle is available for the dates you specified, your booking will be finalised and your credit card will be charged a AU$100 deposit. If a vehicle is not available, we will contact you with a suitable alternative and no payment will be incurred.

Why do I have to include my credit card number?

We require a credit card for the AU$100 deposit to secure you booking. Your credit card information is strictly confidential and this is a faster method for securing your booking compared with Cash or Cheque.

Is it safe to use my credit card?

Yes. Security of our customer’s credit card is taken very seriously. To ensure your security, all credit card transactions are secured by SSL, which encrypts the credit card number so as to make it unavailable to any other party.

Which credit card types do you accept?

We accept Visa, Master Card, and American Express (Amex). Please note that Visa and Master Card have an additional fee of 2.5% when used and Amex cards have an additional fee of 5.0% when used. There is no extra charge for paying in cash.

What currency will my Credit Card be charged?

All credit card transactions will be processed in Australian dollars (AU$). This applies to all bookings made through our website.

What is your Reservation Policy?

To secure a booking we do require a AU$100 deposit. No reservation will be accepted or guaranteed without a deposit. The deposit can be made in Cash, Cheque or Credit Card.

How can I amend or cancel my booking?

If you wish to amend or cancel your existing booking, please contact us as soon as possible. This is so we can make sure any extensions are available for you and to reduce the cost to you for cancellations. Simply go to the contact page and make an enquiry, or email info@lucky-rentals.com.au . Please ensure you quote your confirmation number.

Is there a refund if I shorten my hire while on holiday?

No, there is no refund if you return your campervan earlier than the reserved period. However your travel insurance may in some circumstances cover the unused portion.

What is different about driving in Australia?

In Australia we drive on the left hand side. Some rules may be different to what you are used to. You can take a short test here to start learning the differences.

Do I need a special drivers licence to drive a campervan in Australia?

No, our campervans can be driven with a standard full car licence. License must be in English or an international drivers license is required.

How old do I need to be to drive a campervan or motorhome?

There is no age restriction to hire a campervan from us. The only condition is that you drive on the conditions of your drivers license.

Is there a minimum hire period?

Minimum hire periods apply. They are subject to change during peak seasons depending on availability.

Are there any roads I can’t drive on?

You can drive anywhere as long as you are not on a beach. If you are planning on travelling in the Outback you are required to pay the Outback Fee.

What is the safe travel speed for driving the campervans?

The open road speed limit is 110km/hour but we suggest a comfortable speed for driving your campervan is 90km/hour, especially if you have never driven one before. Should you choose to travel below the speed limit, please show courtesy to other road users by allowing them to pass.

How much fuel am I likely to use on my holiday?

This all depends on how far you travel! Most of our campervans have an average fuel consumption of 10-14 ltrs per 100kms.

Can I park and sleep in the campervan wherever I want, or do I have to stay in a campground?

It is not always necessary to go to a camp ground. It is acceptable to stop on the side of the road or in a bush reserve as long as there are no signs saying “No Parking/Overnight Camping”. Use common sense and courtesy. Please remember to take any rubbish for proper disposal later. Campgrounds usually charge around AU$10 – $25 per night per person. Lucky Rentals recommends staying at campgrounds.

Do you supply a list of campgrounds around Australia?

Yes, we supply campground & regional guides as well as comprehensive Australian road maps.

Do I have to pre-book camping parks?

It is rare for powered sites to be full at camping parks. The only time it may be a problem is over the Christmas/New Year period continuing to the end of the second week of January and also the first two weeks of February. Bookings may be wise in some of the key tourist centres also.

Where are your offices located?

Perth - 110 Francis Street, Northbridge, Western Australia 6003

Sydney - 25 Aylesbury Street, Botany, New South Wales 2019

Cairns - 107 Bunda Street, Portsmith, Queensland 4870

Brisbane - 771 Kingsford Smith Drive, Eagle Farm, Queensland 4009

Melbourne - 45 Bond Ste, Ringwood, Victoria 3134 

Can you deliver a vehicle to our hotel/motel?

You need to come to our office to collect your vehicle so we can complete the necessary documentation and show you how to use your campervan. The whole process takes about 45 minutes.

Can I pick up after hours?

Unfortunately Lucky Rentals does not offer an after hours service.

Do you allow one-way hires?

We have branches in Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney. Please note some routes are subject to one way fees:


  Sydney Brisbane Melbourne Perth Cairns
Sydney to: $249.00 $249.00 $400.00 $249.00
Brisbane to: $249.00  - $249.00 $400.00 $249.00
Melbourne to: $249.00 $249.00 $400.00 $249.00
Perth to: $400.00 $400.00 $400.00 $400.00
Cairns to: Free Free Free Free

What happens if I break down or need assistance during my holiday?

Our campervans are supported 24-hour emergency breakdown service who are a nationwide network of reputable service agents who will deal with any problems that may arise. We can also authorize you to spend up to AU$100.00 in emergency repairs so that you can deal with minor matters speedily or when convenient to you, but please produce the receipt when you return from your hire for a refund.

Please note that if the breakdown is caused by the driver (flat tyre, dead battery and use of incorrect fuel) you maybe liable for the service call out. The service call outs are depending on your location but start from AU$95.00.

Am I covered for windscreens and tyres?

Only if you opt for the Sure Thing excess reduction option at an extra AU$30 per day. It is worth it!

What does the rental excess cover?

The rental excess cover restricts the maximum you are liable for in the event of an accident as long as you do not break the rental agreement terms and conditions. It does not cover you for any personal loss or injury. We suggest taking your own personal travel insurance.

If I have an accident and I am at fault, will I lose my entire excess?

You will be liable for up to the amount of your excess towards the repair cost. If the damage is minor, you will only be charged the repair costs and not the entire excess.

Do I have to pay the bond?

If you have the Gambler insurance option ($3000 excess) we require a $3000 pre authorisation, you will need to have the funds available in your account on the day of pick up. The Pre Authorisation freezes the amount in your account which means you are not charged any transaction fees. This normally lasts between 5-14 working days before it is unfrozen. Please note if you have our Sure Thing insurance cover we only Pre Authorise $250 and if you have our On the Fence insurance cover we Pre Authorise $2000.

I have Travel Insurance, which covers damage to the vehicle. Do I need to pay the vehicle excess as well?

The Gambler excess reduction option is included in our rates and this is compulsory. If you are covered by travel insurance you will not need to pay for any additional insurance excess reduction, however you will be liable to pay the excess of AUD$3000 at the time of the incident and then you would need to reclaim this excess from your travel insurer.

What happens if I have an accident and it’s not my fault?

In the event that something happens to the campervan and you are not at fault, (either a vehicle accident where someone strikes the vehicle or damage occurs while the vehicle is parked) you are liable for the damage caused to the vehicle until we are able to receive payment for those damages from the third party.

Are there any extra fees?

• The first driver is free. Each additional driver incurs an extra fee of AU$1 per day, unless Sure Thing excess reduction option is taken

• An AU$25 cleaning fee applies to all bookings. If the vehicle is returned in a standard of unreasonable cleanliness, an extra cleaning fee of AU$100 will apply

• If a portable toilet (where applicable) is not returned empty, a cleaning fee of AU$100 will apply

• All vehicles are designated smoke free. If smoking is undertaken inside the vehicle, a cleaning fee of AU$100 will apply

• An AU$10 premium location fee applies for all bookings collecting from the Perth branch.

• An AU$100 pick up fee applies for all bookings collecting from the Melbourne and Brisbane locations that return to the same location as pick up.



Am I liable for flat tyres, dead batteries and key lockouts?

The vehicle is covered by 24 hour, 7 days road-side assistance. This basic coverage covers any mechanical malfunction or failure of the vehicle. Please note that this basic coverage does not cover failure resulting from the hirer’s actions or inactions, which includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• The vehicle running out of fuel or incorrect fuel being used

• The keys being locked inside the vehicle or lost

• Flat batteries caused by incorrect usage of the batteries and /or incorrect usage of any equipment that requires the batteries in order to operate

• A breakdown resulting from damage caused in an accident

• A breakdown caused by wilful neglect


The hirer may be liable for a charge by the road-side assistance provider in the event assistance is required for the above.


The hirer can pay an additional AU$5 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) for Premium Road-side Assistance coverage that covers the hirer’s cost for the above failure resulting from the hirer’s actions or inactions, excluding a breakdown caused by wilful neglect.

Premium Road-side Assistance is only available in areas defined by Lucky Rentals as the Outback when the additional Outback Road-side Cover is also paid.

What is Premium Road-side assistance?

When hiring with Lucky Rentals you are liable for any 'driver at fault' issues that may arise. This can include:

• The vehicle running out of fuel or incorrect fuel being used

• The keys being locked inside the vehicle or lost

• Flat batteries caused by incorrect usage of the batteries and /or incorrect usage of any equipment that requires the batteries in order to operate

Without taking out the Premium Road-side assistance the hirer is fully liable for the cost to rectify any of these issues.

The hirer can pay an additional AU$5 per day (to a maximum of fifty (50) days) for Premium Road-side Assistance coverage that covers the hirer’s cost for the above failure resulting from the hirer’s actions or inactions.

Can I hire on my Restricted or P Plate licence?

(AU/NZ residents)

Yes, our campervans can be driven with a Restricted or P Plate licence (both Red and Green). The driver must hold a current and valid drivers licence for the duration of the hire period as well as abide by the conditions of the licence imposed by the issuing government.